I must have been asleep for the past few weeks because Angelina Jolie’s movie that I thought was about a woman falling in love with the man who raped her but seems to have a slightly different (though still pretty disconcerting) angle has come out to mixed reviews. Spoiler alert: “In the film, a Bosnian Muslim woman and a Serbian Christian man find their carefree date interrupted by the outbreak of the war. Cut to: a Serbian prison camp where Muslim women are held in sexual bondage. He is the jailor and she the captive. A relationship develops — ‘consensual’ is not the right word since Danijel’s offer to make Ajla ‘his’ mistress saves her from the systematic rape of his comrades…Ajla’s physical survival is connected to her ability to sexually please Danijel…His emotional survival is linked to Ajla’s perceived redeeming love for him.” Not exactly what I expected but still feeling pretty weird about it.
Yo are you forreal with this article? It’s not all bad but I’m definitely gonna need some bullet points for this one:
- “Haiti: Miserable, but it photographs well”
- “The West’s eternal basket case…”
- “The Haitians outdid the stereotypical Israeli in pushing, shoving and trampling.”
- “A few of them wanted very much to help me with my suitcase but when I aimed the camera at them, two of them pulled a finger across their throats in a gesture that seemed to need no translation.”
- “Photographers say that the suffering and misery in these areas photographs wonderfully.”
- “Poverty, ignorance, disease are rampant.”
- “Life has a different value here.”
- “The entire country looks like one big slum”
- “It is impossible to leave this beautiful, sad country without attending a voodoo ceremony.”
- “…a few young men and many old black women wearing colorful dresses and red ribbons in their hair, who looked as though they had been taken from a slavery history museum…”
On a brighter note, hat tip to the FT for the pun of the week. Congrats. I’m sure it means a lot to you guys.
Deja vu! Rachel Weisz playing a “gutsy truth seeker” in an upcoming film. When will she break this typecast and play a cowardly lie finder?
Hahaha “soft adventure.” This does sound lovely, though. And “exotic.” And “magical.” And you get to watch “minorities trade their goods.” Sick.
I think this is the only article on the Internet that refers to the DRC as the “African Congo.” Anyway I’m really looking forward to the match.
In a shock move, Angelina Jolie has decided to cut short filming in Bosnia for her new movie due to pressure from The Association of Women Victims of War, a group apparently upset by the whole “rape victim falling in love with rapist” thing Jolie is going for. Who knew? Anyway, shooting is moving to Hungary, where I guess there is no rape so no one can be offended.
Cheers to alert reader Mimi for this one
. James Blunt is claiming that he prevented WWIII when, as a British soldier in Kosovo, he refused orders from Wesley Clark to attack Russian troops. I’m also getting word that he saved Haiti
by covering R.E.M’s “Everybody Hurts” for charity and saved the Swiss town of Verbier
by providing a a new ski lift (he owns a chalet there). We should all be thanking our lucky stars that this man
Former allies of Andry Rajoelina have attempted a coup
in Madagascar. Col. Charles Andrianasoavin has claimed the nation. Rajoelina disagrees. But the real question is when are we gonna hear a DJ Rajoelina
-produced diss track against the plotters? The world waits…
So it seems the Bosnian government is not too psyched bout Angelina Jolie’s directorial debut. All of a sudden, I’m not either: “Bosnian press reported the movie would be a love story between a Muslim victim and her rapist, a Serb, causing outrage among victims’ groups.” Oh, that old storyline? (via Feministing).
Robert Mugabe is against extending the power-sharing deal with Morgan Tsvangirai as he believes some of the events happening under the coalition to be “foolish.” Uh, he would…
Hey, kids! Who’s excited for some reverse trick-or-treating?!?! File this under “things that are not fun or effective in any way.” And do they really need (free+shipping) kits for this shit??