From the six month old Federal Government of Somalia, a step-by-step primer on how to undermine your fledgling regime’s “please help us have a country” PR tour:
- Hire rapists into your police force.
- In the event that a citizen accuses your police force of rape, refuse to investigate the alleged crime, and throw her in prison for good measure.
- Subject her to a two-day interrogation without assistance of counsel until she recants the accusation.
- Chuck her husband in prison, too.
- Track down any journalists who have interviewed the alleged rape victim, and imprison them.
- Charge everyone with “insulting the government” and various other made up sounding crimes.
- Rinse, repeat.
All in all, a process guaranteed to make donor countries look at your security forces and think “State capacity is the best. Let’s send these guys some more money!”