– More on this Wyclef-Jean-running-for-President-of-Haiti thing. The LA Times seems to be baiting a wtf with this headline. There are also some concerns floating around:
- “First, he doesn’t know how the state works. He hasn’t any knowledge of the political parties. This is not a good thing for democracy in Haiti.”
- “Jean, who has not lived permanently in Haiti for about 30 years, doesn’t speak French, and his Creole is far from flawless.”
- “His announcing on ‘ Larry King‘ is very peculiar. I don’t think the U.S. public is voting.”
- “Who’s going to vote for that … ? What the hell does Wyclef know about politics? That’s why Aristide [a former priest] messed up the country, because they put in a preacher as president.”
– In one of this biggest philanthropy stories of all time, 40 billionaires have agreed to give at least half of their money to charity. Among the heavy-hitters are Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Warren Buffet, Michael Bloomberg, George Lucas, David Rockefeller, Ted Turner, and T. Boone Pickens, who I’m pretty sure is actually just a character from “The Dukes of Hazzard.” The “catch” is that they can wait until they die to give it away. So really we should be thanking their kids and significant others, no?